Sunday, January 9, 2011

A few words on Numerology.

Today, several friends posted something on their facebook walls that had me thinking. first was the absurdity of the claim, and then second, I thought about my mom and my dad and something that was said to my sister and I shortly after they had both passed away.

The posts on facebook state that: "I'm not superstitious, but this year, July has 5 Fridays, 5 Saturdays and 5 Sundays. This happens once every 823 years. This is called money bags. So copy this to your status and money will arrive within 4 days. Based on Chinese Feng Shui, the one who does not copy will be without money. I can't let that person be ME!"

Of course, being fairly good about remembering dates, I remembered that 2011 is following the same pattern as 1993. So I checked and verified that indeed, July 1993 was the same as July 2011. Another friend looked an noticed that the next time 5 weeks line up on a Friday, Saturday, & Sunday is in March of 2014. This person, having majored in Mathematics and currently teaching maths, had not realized that all months with 31 days will have five weeks of three days in a row. It is a mathematical certainty, just as the months with 30 days will have five weeks of two days in a row and February has five weeks every 4 years.

But that was not what got me thinking. what got me thinking, was just the number 5. I am sure that everyone has heard about lucky and unlucky numbers, such that the number 7 is considered a lucky number in western civilization, while the number 8 is considered a lucky number in most Asian cultures. The Numbers 6 and 9 are generally considered unlucky whether it is a belief about religion and whether 666 or 999 represent the number of the beast. Rarely do we hear mention of the number 5. However, in Christianity, 5 represents the number of wounds on Jesus Christ (Crown of thorns, Scourging at the pillar, staking of the hands, staking of the feet, and the side wound). Even in other religions, the number 5 is found prominently, such as how the book of psalms was made into 5 chapters to parallel the 5 books of Moses. The Torah contains "Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy" which are collectively called the 5 books of Moses. and I could go on to include other religions.

Suffice to say, the number 5 appears to have more of an impact than many people may realize. Now, about the piece of information that was told to me and my sister shortly after our mom and dad passed away was this: There has to be something significant about the fact that your mom and dad both passed away exactly 5 months to the day, apart.

What it means, I have no idea, it is just something that has had me wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment