Not really sure where I originally got this recipe, but it is a great soup. The original recipe had 3 medium tomatoes, while I prefer Roma tomatoes for a better flavor.
Roasted Aubergine Soup
6 Roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise
1 eggplant, halved lengthwise
1 small onion, halved
6 garlic cloves, peeled
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup whipping cream
3/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place tomatoes, eggplant, onion and garlic on large baking sheet. Brush vegetables with oil. Roast until vegetables are tender and brown in spots, approximately 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Scoop eggplant from skin into large and heavy saucepan; discard skin. Add remaining roasted vegetables and thyme.
- Add 4 cups chicken stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook until onion is very tender, about 45 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Puree soup with blender until smooth.
- Stir in cream. Bring to simmer, thinning with more stock, if desired.
- Season soup with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls.
- Sprinkle with goat cheese; serve.