Tuesday, May 10, 2016

How the @Kroger company actively works to inform their consumers of #foodsafety #recall information

How the @Kroger company actively works to inform their consumers of #foodsafety #recall information

The other day, while shopping at a Payless Supermarket, one of the brands (Other stores include King Soopers, City Market, Frys, Fred Meyer, Ralphs, Food 4 Less, QFC, Smiths) owned and operated by Kroger, I was surprised that there were no noticeable signs about any of the recent foodsafety recalls.

As an expert in food safety, but with most of my experience in food service, I was a bit surprised that there were no notices posted letting the consumers know that some products were being recalled, even if the impacted products were not sold at that particular store.

If you look at the list of recalled frozen vegetables, you will find approximately 700 items on the combined lists, covering products from several different companies and brands. So I sent a tweet questioning why I didn't see anything in the grocery store, here is my tweet and the two responses:




















So I went and looked at the website they directed me to in the response: https://www.kroger.com/recall_alerts

Unfortunately, the information appears to be jumbled and not very easy to access for some that may be looking for a specific item. However, each item section has a place to click for more information that provides what looks like a flyer that describes the impacted products, the UPC codes, Use by dates, and package sizes.

I have sent a follow-up tweet to Kroger asking if the flyers are supposed to be posted in the stores. If they are, I am interested in knowing where (the flyers already have a "post until" date on them).

I will update if I get more information.


No comments:

Post a Comment